Who Are They
Generation Z is now entering the workforce with the oldest of the group (born in 1996) just starting to graduate college. Gen Z is the most diverse group of any generation in the U.S. — 55% are Caucasian, 24% are Hispanic, 14% are African-American and 4% are Asian.
What They Believe In
Gen Z wants to be respected, appreciated, have organizations that support their growth and to have a clear understanding outlining the plan for their career. With strong technical skills and creativity, their focus is on jobs that are less automatable. Gen Z believes in fairness and equality for all genders, races, and orientation. They care about: 1) having impact, 2) workplace cultural values, and 3) growth opportunities. Gen Zers are entrepreneurship minded, will learn new skills on their own, but appreciates interpersonal communication mentorship.
Attracting Gen Z
- 83% welcome you to connect with them before graduation to build a relationship.
- Hire base on ability, not pedigree
- Have a job landing page with video
- Use an engaging application form
- Have a 1 click apply – expects ease in applying for positions
- Important to look at time to hire and reduce this
- Have an authentic website using live photos and videos (not stock photos) of your team showing how your company is making a difference.
- Make your application like a video game.
- Show how your employees can achieve THEIR goals at your company
- 8-second filter: Connect with Gen Z with images and videos versus a long LinkedIn InMail
- Offer Micro-Internships
Where to find Gen Z talent online
Generation Z are digital natives and have been using the internet for 15 years. They put their stories out on Snapchat and Instagram, and are brand managers from an early age.
- Have an online presence on social media using online videos.
- Top 8 social media sites from 2017 where Generation Z spends their time:
Facebook – 90%
YouTube – 71%
Snapchat – 71%
Instagram – 69%
LinkedIn – 49% (this number is decreasing)
Pinterest – 37%
Google – 27%
Generation Z is open-minded and adaptable. They are a generation of highly-educated, technologically-savvy, innovative thinkers. They look for solutions on their own. They set out to make things on their own.